Summary: The Prototype Specialist assists the Mechanical Engineer and Operations Manager with the creation and assembly of prototypes (plastic parts and electronics). He/she will also set up files for 3D printing for optimal results. Hands-on and attention to the detail are a must as the prototype specialist will be working on creating one-off models, using silicone molds and clay. Post-processing activities, such as sanding, ultrasonic cleaning, painting, etc. are necessary. CAD drafting skills a plus.
Schedule: Monday through Friday (regular business hours)
Location: 801 E Hibiscus Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prototype Specialist
- Operate the 3D Printing machines (SLA & FDM)
- Make modifications to the 3D file in order to ensure best 3D printing results
- Correctly estimate material needed for each prototype production run
- Oversee 3D printing production and manage supply levels, ordering and stocking supplies in advance in order to avoid any delays in production.
- Post process all prototypes using ultrasonic cleaning, chemical baths, polishing, sanding, and painting prototypes to ensure high-fidelity, high-quality finishes.
- Create RTV silicone molds.
- Use hand tools to assemble prototypes (plastics and circuit boards)
- Performs design validation testing of prototypes, proposing design modifications to guarantee manufacturing efficiency and compliance with technical specifications.
- Specify tolerances, materials and post processing treatments for prototypes.
- Communicate with client directly or indirectly about project-related items, submitting updates on projects.
- Ensure prototype production is up to date on status of project and deadlines are being met.
- Craft building, such as woodworking, prototyping, papercraft, etc.
- Clay modeling working knowledge
- Building prototype molds for use with resin
- Resin pouring and curing
- Good at translating images and words into physical objects
- High level of accuracy and attention to details
- 3D Printing experience
- Ability to manage time efficiently, to work both independently and in a team setting
- High level of proficiency of Google Products such as Gmail, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Calendar (equivalent to Microsoft’s Excel, Word, PPT, and Outlook)
- Must have great hands-on modeling experience
- Candidate has to be eager to learn new concepts, tools, and software
- At least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified and 5 years of exposure to arts, crafts, engineering, or other “hands-on” activities
- Knowledge of 3D modeling software (AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc) a plus
- Must have reliable transportation
- Punctuality and great work ethic
- Knowledge of Injection Molding a plus
- Familiarity with the Manufacturing and/or Electronics industries a plus
Moderate physical activity in an office environment. Requires sitting on a chair operating on a computer, as well as operating 3D printing and working on a prototyping environment. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks in a standard prototype-like environment. PPE (personal protective equipment) is required with all prototype activities.
Reports to: COO
Works closely with: COO, Engineers, Sourcing Specialists
Occasionally interacts with: Manufacturing personnel
Position’s performance is based on:
- Quality and accuracy of delivered prototypes
- Quality of 3D models
- Ability to meet deadlines
This job description was lastly revised on September 27, 2018
Apply Online Now
Use the form below to apply for this position. Click "Fill Out Form" to start the application.